Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sorry for being absent

I'm sorry for being absent, but dealing with my mom and her dementia is time consuming. It's depressing actually on some days and funny others. It's always something.

I'm also trying to put stuff together for her Medicaid/Medicare and my work and the classes I take. Oy.

So while I work, here's a post I had to write for one of my grad classes dealing with questionsof inequality.


Rosary

               The problems of inequality and justice are too broad, too vast, and too complicated for a mere three hundred words, but the readings and media we were assigned this week make me feel angry, frustrated, depressed, and often impotent. Then again I also identify as a proud feminist with Marxist leanings.

               The media referenced this week makes me angry because these have been the arguments of my entire lifetime. I was born in 1965 a time of turbulence and optimism. What angers me is that now in 2015 when I will be fifty years old, we seem not to have moved forwards, but to in fact have regressed. Income disparity is at level not seen for a hundred years or so; racism still permeates our culture and discourse as does the violence it calls up; and women’s bodies are still a battleground.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 designed to promote and safeguard the civil rights of all was basically gutted by the Supreme Court in 2013 when they ruled states no longer needed federal approval before changing state laws that affected voting. Yet, we constantly hear of voter fraud and polling place bullying, but the law is now fairly unenforceable. We also have now so many Voter ID rules that we have basically reinstituted a poll tax. This makes me angry.

In 1973, Roe vs. Wade was decided, I was eight. The majority of my lifetime has seen the abortion issue debated and thrown around. This, too, makes me angry. What makes me even angrier are all of the recent attempts by legislators to limit, to repeal, and to control women’s reproductive rights. This makes me angry.

When my father died before my third birthday, my newly single mother raised me, and we lived on Social Security survivor’s benefits. I know what it is like to be part of the “welfare state.” When I hear people say things about how the poor don’t work hard enough, how they have opportunities if they only took them, I become angry. When I hear people condemn fast food workers for striking to have a livable wage, or when I hear the trickle-down economics blather, I become angry. I become angry because I watch my students who try to raise their children on these minimum wage jobs struggle to have an education which might lead them to opportunities that they can barely imagine because our nation, if not our world, has limited their dreams to what is appropriate to their income, their race, or their gender. I grow angry.

Unlike the Incredible Hulk, however, I cannot let people not like me when I am angry. Anger motivates but it does not solve. What does solve? Well, Emma Watson’s speech before the UN shows us one way—to talk to each other, to discuss these issues. Openly discussing these issues is uncomfortable; these discussions make people wiggle and avoid committing, but we must have them. When we see each other as people first and not as income, race, or gender, we can then begin to find the answers the solutions.

Obviously as an educator, I believe educating people on these issues is important. As we learn from our past how we have treated each other, how people have felt about that treatment, we can learn then to respect each other. In respecting each other no matter income, gender, or race, we can begin to see the solution.

I do not have a solution. This is a problem bigger than me, but I am at heart a Utilitarian: That which is good is that which does the most good for the greatest amount of people. All people, not just one or two groups, all. Until we can see, accept, respect, and talk with one another equally, I will remain angry—an angry liberal feminist with Marxist leanings, who wants to see and to work for a forward movement on these issues in the next fifty years of life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment